Below is a sod installation guide we have provided for your reference.
Before Sod Arrives:
1) Kill old lawn. For best results, first water and fertilize your lawn so that it is in a vigorous growth mode. Then spray entire lawn with Bonide Kleenup®, carefully following directions on the packaging. Bonide Kleenup® is a highly effective herbicide that enters the plant through its foliage and is translocated all the way down to its root system. One thorough treatment will usually completely kill your old lawn and weeds.
2) Remove dead lawn. Using a sod cutter, strip away dead turf. Roll or section dead turf and discard. (Sod cutters can usually be found at a local rental yard or nursery.)
3) Rototill soil & install or repair sprinklers. Only after removing rocks or debris, rototill soil to a depth of 4″ – 6″. Consult local nurseryman for soil amendment and irrigation system recommendations.
4) Rake and fine grade. Rake to break up large clods and remove any remaining debris. Fine grade by scraping across the surface to smooth uneven areas. Finished grade should be 1/2″ below walkways, driveways, and/or patios. Please Note: Sod is uniformly machine-cut and will conform to any irregularities left in the grade.
5) Apply Marathon Sod & Seed Starter™. Distribute the Marathon fertilizer evenly over prepared area, either by hand, or by using a “whirlybird” style applicator. Avoid applying under windy conditions. For best results, follow directions on bag.
6) Roll soil. Roll soil to settle and firm the surface. Fine grade again, if necessary. (Rollers are available from a local nursery or rental yard.) Soil should be dry to avoid compaction.
After SOD Arrives:
1) Lay sod immediately upon delivery. Begin laying sod adjacent to the longest boundary of the area to be covered. Stagger each new row of sod so that seams are offset, as in a brick wall. Butt ends and edges tightly together. Cut sod with heavy knife to conform to curved boundaries, planters, etc.
After first 200 square feet are installed, water sod lightly to prevent wilting.
2) Roll sod. When all the sod is installed, use a roller over the entire lawn to ensure a good contact between the sod and native soil.
3) Water lawn thoroughly and evenly. To avoid having dry patches in lawn and to promote even growth, sprinkler system pattern should provide “head-to-head” coverage as indicated by arrows. See instructions on Maintaining Your Marathon Lawn for more details.
4) Mowing. Mowing should begin one week after installation.
Call us at (877) 568-4425 for the lowest price on Marathon Sod!