Tree Power – Free Shade Tree Campaign
Every year the through the Tree Power Program, there is a Free Shade Tree Campaign that starts March 1st and last until June 30th. To redeem your free tree bring in your ORIGINAL March RPU bill which is good for one (1) free tree up to $35 in value (the back of your March RPU utility bill is “the coupon”). We will retain your original March RPU bill as proof of redemption so please make a copy for your records prior to coming to the store. We do not make copies.
Most shade and fruit trees are eligible for the program with the exception of dwarf fruit trees and citrus. Trees do not include vines, bushes, perennials etc.
What do you need to do?
RPU electric customers please bring your original March utility bill to our and leave with a qualifying free tree. Eligible trees priced at $44.99 are free. If the tree is more than $44.99 you will receive $35 credit towards the purchase price. It’s that simple!
Tree Program – Rebate Program
The Tree Power Shade Tree Rebate Program is a year-round program where Riverside Public Utilities’ (RPU) electric customers can purchase up to 5 shade trees per calendar year from our nursery and receive a rebate of $35 per tree. Sales tax, delivery or installation fees, and other associated costs are not considered part of the total purchase price. Rebates are credited to the customer’s utility bill. (some restrictions apply).
While most trees are eligible for the program, due to the vulnerability of the City’s citrus stock to Asian Citrus Psyllid and Huanglongbing (HLB), an agreement was made by RPU and our nursery to remove any citrus trees from program participation.
What do you need to do?
Visit our nursery and purchase up to five (5) qualifying trees. Plant the trees on your property only, then complete the Tree Power Rebate Program application. Mail the application and all applicable tree receipts to address located at the bottom of this page.
- Program is subject to fund availability and may be cancelled at any time.
- Customers must fulfill all program-specific and general RPU program guidelines to be eligible for incentives.
- The level of incentive is $35 per tree for the purchase of up to five qualifying trees per electric account, per calendar year.
- Rebate will be credited to customer’s electric account.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the tree.
- Only specific species of trees qualify for this program. Trees are subject to approval by RPU.
- Qualifying trees must be purchased from a City of Riverside merchant, and planted within 14 days of purchase at customer’s service address.
- Before planting, customer must contact the Underground Service Alert of Southern California or DigAlert at 1-800-227-2600.
- Trees must be planted within 10-35 feet of the foundation on the customer’s own property to achieve maximum energy efficiency without negatively impacting any dwelling, business, underground pipes, utility lines or solar power access.
- Customers cannot plant trees on areas considered City property.
- Planted trees are subject to inspection. Customer must allow RPU access to their property to inspect the tree(s).
- Customer must sign liability agreement and agree to the long-term care of the tree.
- All General Program Guidelines apply.
- Riverside Public Utilities reserves the right to determine eligibility, modify or discontinue this program without prior notice at its discretion. Program is subject to fund availability.
Submit your completed and signed application, proof-of-purchase and other supporting documentation as required, within 90 days of the purchase date and in accordance with program guidelines to:
Riverside Public Utilities – Programs & Services
3025 Madison St.
Riverside, CA 92504
*Once you have submitted your rebate via email, there is no need to submit a paper form.